Sunday, September 29, 2013

Hilarious Compound Words

I have to say that I love teaching compound words.  I think they are fun for 1st graders-5th graders. (Even I really enjoy doing this activity!)  I have now done this activity with 1st, 2nd, and 5th graders. All of the age groups have really enjoyed this activity. 

I recently taught compound words to my current 5th graders.  They were laughing out loud as they considered the possibilities for this activity. Students were given a compound word and told to draw a picture about the two separate words.  Instead of drawing a butterfly, they could draw a cube of butter that can fly.

Here are a few examples of what my students did for compound words.




 My students loved this activity and always ask if they can make more pictures.  This activity can be found here! It includes 30 templates like the ones pictured above and a blank template. 

 I still need to have my students play this Compound Word Sort Game. It can be found here



There is a FREE anchor chart that can be found here.


I have a complete compound word unit that includes all of the above items and more! The packet can be found here

No comments:

Post a Comment